[Python-ideas] file.read() doesn't read the whole file

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Fri Mar 20 22:02:33 CET 2009

Sreejith K <sreejithemk at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using the above codes in a pthon-fuse's file class's read
> function. The offset and length are 0 and 4096 respectively for my
> test inputs. When I open a file and read the 4096 bytes from offset,
> only a few lines are printed, not the whole file. Actually the file is
> only a few bytes. But when I tried reading from the Interactive mode
> of python it gave the whole file.
>
> Is there any problem using read() method in fuse-python ?
>
> Also statements like break and continue behaves weirdly in fuse
> functions. Any help is appreciated....

If you think break and continue are behaving differently in a python
program that is providing a fuse filesystem implementation, then your
understanding of what your code is doing is faulty in some fashion.
The fact that python is being called from fuse isn't going to change
the semantics of the language.

So I think you need to do some debugging to understand what's actually
going on when your code gets called.  As someone else suggested, if you
are perceiving that the data read is short because of what you see at
the os level when reading the data from the fuse-plus-your-application
filesystem, that is after your python code returns the data to the fuse
infrastructure, then that is probably where your problem is and not in
the python read itself.  (I'm assuming here that the read in question
is taking place in a python method called from fuse and is reading real
data from a real file...if that assumption is wrong and you are actually
reading from a file _provided through_ fuse, then you need to look to
your fuse file system implementation for answers.)

--
R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com