[Python-ideas] Rough draft: Proposed format specifier for a thousands separator (discussion moved from python-dev)

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Mar 17 02:55:51 CET 2009

Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> To be clear, I'm in favour of Nick's version.
>
> (I share your concern about the apparent ambiguities
> in Eric's version -- it confused me too the first
> few times I read it!)

I'll chime in in favor of the simpler proposal and leaving the 'specify
what characters to use' ability for later.  That's the way I've felt from
the beginning of the discussion, for what it's worth.  It feels like the
factoring Guido talked about ("yes I want thousands separators" and then
separately "here's what I want to use for thousands/decimal separators")
is the correct way to break down the problem.

--
R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com