[Python-ideas] Fwd: Adding a test discovery into Python

Leonardo Santagada santagada at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 04:04:40 CET 2009

On Mar 11, 2009, at 8:05 PM, Guilherme Polo wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com>
> wrote:
>> [Christian Heimes]

>> Test discovery is not the interesting part of the problem.
>
> Interesting or not, it is a problem that is asking for a solution,
> this kind of code is being duplicated in several places for no good
> reason.
>

>> Axiom:  The more work involved in writing tests, the fewer
>> tests that will get written.
>
> At some point you will have to run them too, I don't think you want to
> reimplement the discovery part yet another time.

What I think he was getting at is that 20-30 lines of test discovery
have to be written once for each project (or none if using py.test/
nose), but self.assertequals and all of the other quirks of unittest
are all over a test suite and you need to write all of it each time
you have to make a test.

Not that what you are trying to do is pointless, but fixing this other
problem is so much more interesting...

--
Leonardo Santagada
santagada at gmail.com