[Python-ideas] binding vs rebinding

Bruce Leban bruce at leapyear.org
Sun Feb 8 06:23:57 CET 2009

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 4:31 AM, spir <denis.spir at free.fr> wrote:
> We can nevertheless assume, as there was no further debate on this
> point, that in most cases and/or for most programmers these actions
> have a different meaning.

Please don't assume. Just because people don't state their disagreements
does not mean they agree.

I found the statement that binding and rebinding are "obviously" different
to be clearly NOT obvious and not a particularly practical distinction and
really not worth discussing. I only respond to this to prevent the meme that
"everyone agrees" with this from propagating.

There *is* something in Python related to this that I find obviously
different and that's local and global variables. I would prefer that all
global variables have to be included in a global declaration. I dislike the
fact that an assignment to a variable changes other references to that same
name from local to global references. This sort of feels like "spooky action
at a distance" to me.

--- Bruce