[Python-ideas] Removing some string methods?

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Fri May 16 21:36:17 CEST 2008

[AMK]
> Has any consideration been given to removing some of the lesser-used
> string methods in 3.0?  e.g. .center, .ljust/rjust, .zfill, .swapcase?

I don't think we gain anything by taking justification and centering methods away. It just makes life difficult for people like me
who use those
methods for formatting text.  Also, these methods have nearly zero mental overhead -- they are self-explanatory and have no learning
curve.

The swapcase() method is more use case challenged and could probably be zapped without anyone caring.

The zfill() method is no longer necessary because rjust() takes an optional fillchar argument:

    '123'.zfill(10) == '123'.rjust(10, '0')

Raymond