[Python-ideas] py3k: adding "print" methods to file-like objects

Erick Tryzelaar idadesub at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Mar 15 02:39:43 CET 2008

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
>  Also, it enables making the file argument very abbreviated, e.g.
>
>    f = sys.stdout
>    fprint(f, 'first line')
>    fprint(f, 'another line here')
>    fprint(f, 'and again')
>
>  Otherwise, the shortest you can get it down to is 'file=f',
>  which is 6 times as long. It might not seem much, but that's
>  5 less characters of print arguments that you can fit in
>  without having to split the line.

In that case I think partials a better option, when you could do:

p = partial(print, file=sys.stderr)
p('first line')
p('another line here')
p('and again')

I completely forgot about partial which does a good job of filling in
for what I wanted. I just need to consider the combination of the py3k
stuff a bit more.