[Python-ideas] An official complaint regarding the marshal and pickle documentation

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Mar 5 18:36:56 CET 2008

I'm assuming that someone confronted you with this security issue
somehow? Otherwise I don't understand why you'd be so upset about it.

BTW the warning for marshal is legit -- the C code that unpacks
marshal data has not been carefully analyzed against buffer overflows
and so on. Remember the first time someone broke into a system through
a malicious JPEG? The same could happen with marshal. Seriously.

I agree that the pickle module's warning needs to be moved to a more
prominent place (Georg has probably aready done this by the time I'm
finished typing this message :-). But I see no reason to get so upset
about it as to use all caps.

--Guido