[Python-ideas] non-Pre-PEP: Syntactic replacement of built-in types with user-defined callables (Take 2... fewer newlines!)

Stargaming stargaming at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 21:17:04 CET 2008

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:01:19 +1100, Taro wrote:
[typedef PEP snipped]

If I understood your proposal correctly, it's just about dynamically
*replacing* the built-in types (with their respective syntax) with some
type of your own.

I doubt this will ever be accepted (apart from the technical
difficulties) since *changing* built-in types *in-place* has been
disallowed for exactly the same reason: It could cause weird behaviour
where you expected some **agreed on, built-in** behaviour without having
an overly obvious cause.

Cheers,