[Python-ideas] Fast global cacheless lookup

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Nov 23 00:11:46 CET 2007

"Eyal Lotem" <eyal.lotem at gmail.com> wrote in
message news:b64f365b0711221407l7564b507p7359c227866fd230 at mail.gmail.com...
| Hey, I had a very similar idea and implementation back in June (that
| also passed all regression tests):
| http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-ideas/2007-June/000902.html
|
| When I read Neil's mail I almost thought it was my old mail :-)
|
| Unfortunately, when I posted my optimization, it pretty much got
| ignored. Maybe I have not worded it properly.

Rereading your post, I think Neil's was a bit clearer, partly because it
had more details.  In particular, I see no mention of ...

| I used a different method, where you call a new PyDict_ExportKey
| method and it creates a mediating element.  The mediating element has
| a fixed position so it can be dereferenced directly.

(which I do not quite get, actually, but that is probably just me.)

More important, I think, is timing.  Last June, the focus was on defining
what 3.0 would consist of.  Now that that is mostly done, and the result
found to be slower than 2.5, I think more attention is available for speed
issues.

It will be great if the two of you can come up with a clean lookup speedup
that avoids any showstopper issues.  This issue has been rumbling around
'in the basement' for several years.

Terry Jan Reedy