[Python-ideas] Democratic multiple dispatch doomed to fail (probably)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Dec 17 08:27:55 CET 2007

Neil Toronto writes:

 > Python's __op__/__rop__ is a rather clever solution to the problem in
 > binary form. Do you know if there's a generalization of this? CLOS is
 > almost it, but Python lets the class containing __op__ or __rop__ own
 > the operation after it finds one that implements it.

Sorry, no.  I'm a professional economist (my early work was related to
Gibbard-Satterthwaite, thus my interest here) and wannabe developer,
who happens to have enjoyed the occasional guidance of Ken Arrow a
couple decades ago.  If you think there's something to the application
of multiobjective optimization to this problem, I'd love to take a
hack at it ... no classes to teach winter term, I've got some time to
bone up on the multidispatch problem itself.