[Python-ideas] from __future__ import function_annotations

Collin Winter collinw at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 17:11:02 CEST 2007

On 4/11/07, Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote:
> "Tobias Ivarsson" <thobes at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am just curiously wondering about the plans for introducing function
> > annotations (PEP 3107). I could not find any information about this in the
> > PEP, neither when I searched the mail archives.
>
> Function annotations are a Python 3.0 feature.  From what I understand,
> they have a potential implementation, tests, and documentation.  You
> just have to wait until the Alpha comes out.

Backporting annotations to 2.x was discussed in March
(http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2007-March/006107.html)
to generally positive reception. The only possible hiccup would be
that annotations wouldn't be supported for tuple parameters, since
tuple params won't survive in 3.0 anyway.

Collin Winter