[python-events] Repeating events

Marc-Andre Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Aug 15 04:24:19 EDT 2022

On 15.08.2022 01:42, DL Neil wrote:
> Marc-Andre,
>

> On 14/08/2022 23.36, Marc-Andre Lemburg wrote:
>> I have added the event to the user group calendar, but only a single
>> event. For a repeating event, we'd need a URL which persists across
>> events. Thanks.
>

> I have been loathe to enter a recurring event, although as you say, the
> group's Meetup.com 'home page' would suffice. I'm sure the Committee are
> way-ahead of my PUG-level thinking on this, but herewith my two-cents
> (subject to inflation/devaluation).
>
> Whilst 'loyalty' is a factor in some people's decision to attend a
> PUG-meeting, surely the major draw-card is 'topic'. For example, if the
> meeting is entitled 'My first Python assignment statement', you and I
> would envisage little personal-relevance (and thus only the 'loyalty'
> factor applies - unless we intend to bring-along and encourage
> friends/colleagues at that level). Conversely, something like 'v3.10's
> new features in-action' would be more likely to engender
> intrinsic-motivation.
>
> Wouldn't the regular-members of the group already know about meetings
> from the group's 'site', membership-mailouts, etc? Thus, the
> international-calendar's impact is complementary - to advise 'others'.
> In turn, doesn't that imply an appeal to the latter motivation?
>
> NB in Europe and places where PUG-locations are physically-close, and in
> the case of people travelling between centers, other rationale may
> apply. These do not when the PUG is about as far away from any other, as
> it is possible to go!
>
> This logic leads to my practice of forwarding requests to the Calendar,
> only when the PUG has a firm schedule - worthy of reading, and worthy of
> requesting the Committee's (voluntary) time and attention (and assuming
> we can meet the two-weeks criteria).

It's true that having a solid program for an event makes a difference
in attracting people, but often enough, the calendars are also used
to find "something close to me", with the actual event program to be
found on a user group website.

> Reinforcing this view, is that at the time of posting (the request
> you've kindly enacted, as above) I followed a number of 'zombie links',
> ie group-links provided on the calendar that lead to a dead-site or to a
> page which does not feature 2022 meeting dates. Given the procedure
> established by this Committee, these 'events' were presumed to be
> automated announcements.

We rely on user groups to let us know of changes. They submit their
recurrence rule and we add the event.

We should probably do some reviews of the existing entries every
now and then, but volunteer time is limited, so this doesn't happen
often.

> If I have misunderstood, please advise...
>

> Please do not take this as a negative-criticism of the Committee's work.
> It is much appreciated and valued!
>
> In late-2019, the PUG was attempting 'hybrid' meetings in attempt to
> cope with 'the tyranny of distance' and the changing attitudes of
> work/life-balance. When COVID-19 precautions started to bite, we threw
> ourselves into the virtual-side of hybrid, exclusively (still our
> modus-operandi). Since then, we've watched many similar professional and
> interest groups wither and die, whereas we have gradually gained
> strength (it must be said, not without losing some who object to on-line
> meetings). We now enjoy attendees from locations all around the Pacific
> Rim, and beyond. (and speakers drawn similarly - per Abdur-Rahman, and
> approaches to yourself!)
>
> This growth or 'reach' came courtesy of a number of 'sources'. So,
> please be assured that the PUG-Calendar, and work of the Committee, is
> valued and valuable. Thank you!

Quite a few people value the calendars and that's why I started the
effort many years ago. We now have a small team working on collecting
and adding events, which makes things easier.

Going online with an event certainly helps gain reach, but at the same
time it also loses a lot of social interaction. At least that's what I
found in the last three years. With our own user group in Düsseldorf,
Germany, we've gone back to in-person and even though we get fewer
attendees, it's a lot more fun and enjoyable for the attendees - which
is the main driver behind our user group.

We also tried hybrid, but this resulted in fewer attendees joining
in-person and social interactions between the in-person attendees
and the online ones simply did not work out. YMMV, of course.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Aug 15 2022)

                https://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                      https://www.malemburg.com/