[python-events] Volunteering with the Calendar team

Emanuil Tolev emanuil at episkeyltd.com
Mon Jan 20 13:02:04 EST 2020

Hi,

Ewa started a thread on psf-community at python.org asking for volunteers to
this team. I'd be happy to help: I already collect info especially on
Python (& some other) events as part of my work as a developer advocate.
I've volunteered for several years at PyCon UK and do a few other volunteer
community bits and pieces.

I have read https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEventsCalendar . I've one
question about selection criteria:

Conference criteria: the wiki page focusses mostly on "community" events
which are also my favourite. Typically they have relatively low or free
cost of entry, are run by members of the community, and talks focus
generally on the practice of programming Python or culture within the
community of programmers. But there are other more business-y events like
https://conferences.oreilly.com/strata/strata-eu-2019/public/schedule/detail/74482
(~$1000 ticket) and https://odsc.com/boston/ (~$1200 min. at standard
price). These are undoubtedly events where people talk about Python but are
also definitely a category of their own. Are these acceptable?

Happy to answer any qs you have! Let me know what you'd like me to do next
if you're happy for me to help.

Thanks for your work,
Emanui