[python-events] [PSF-Board] PSF Board Resolution Notification - Read, Write & Code, Akowonjo, Nigeria

info at teenscancode.com.ng info at teenscancode.com.ng
Fri Dec 29 12:10:31 EST 2017

Hi Betsy,

Compliments of the Season to you and the PSF family.

Regarding our one month Python program, we are excited to share a link
with you and a brief report on the training.

The training started on Friday 17th November and Ended on Saturday 16th
December, 2017. At the conference on 1st November 2017 we announced the
one month free Python training and the students received the news which
so much excitement, the news came towards the end of the conference,
when students were already inspired and already thinking to go back and
start their journey in tech, when the announcement for the free training
came, we had to beg them to stop shouting, it was really exciting to see
their reaction, for this we say a big thank you to Python Software
Foundation for making this possible.

Though we didn't use the result from the questionnaire we told you
about, which was supposed to serve as a selection process for students
that will participate in the training. The reason was some schools had
more than 3-5 students that did well in the questionnaire and some
schools were not represented, but we wanted at least a child from each
participating school, so we had to select one child from each school,
and that made it easier to almost balance gender, we had 33 boys and 23
girls, in total we had 56 students registered.

The training held twice a week for the one month period, although the
Fridays were specifically set aside to introduce them to basics like
HTML and CSS, and then we had extensive classes on Python every Saturday
within the period of training. The Python classes were facilitated by
volunteer developers from Andela, Andela is a tech company in Nigeria
with headquarters in New York.

Here is a link to find some pictures uploaded from the training and
testimonials:
http://www.teenscancode.com.ng/one-month-python-nov-dec2017.html

On behalf of Teens Can Code and of course the beneficiaries of the
training, i sincerely thank Python Software Foundation for your support
in empowering Teens Can Code to train more young Nigerians. We do hope
to do this again with you and even with greater impact in the coming
year.

Oluwatobi Shobayo,
Head of Operations/Admin
Teens Can Code