[PSF-Members] Conference calendar

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Sep 13 08:57:51 CEST 2012

Mike Müller wrote:
> Am 13.09.12 00:56, schrieb Richard Jones:

>>> Yes, I had that on my list of events, but I'm not sure whether
>>> this is good idea - it may clutter up the calendar too much.
>>>
>>> What do you think ?
>>>
>>> If we don't add such events, I'll remove the entry again.
>>
>> I think it's a good idea. Perhaps those entries could be "UG
>> Melbourne, Australia" or similar so they're clearly identified? It'd
>> also be sensible to make sure we get good location information into
>> every entry. Then we could have a map :-)
>
> It is quite a bit clutter. While it is very interesting to know that
> there are many UG events around the world, I would find it a bit
> annoying to see potentially hundreds of events. This would kind of
> mask the conferences. Is there any kind of filter that allows
> to show conferences only or UG events only?
> Does it make sense to a have separate calendars, one for UG events
> and one for conferences?

Google calendars unfortunately don't have a category field
which could be used to filter such events in a single calendar.
Their stance is to have multiple calendars, which is annoying
lots of people including myself, because it means lots of
duplication of settings. It is possible to show a calendar
sheet with multiple calendars, but that's not really the point
of what we're trying to work around here :-)

Anyway, we could setup a second calendar for the user groups
to address the cluttering. The only question is where to
display that user group calendar. The second question is
whether we can really keep up with the high frequency of
such entries.

Perhaps we should simply try out having both conferences
and UG meeting displayed, but have them organized in two
separate calendars. If the clutter is too much, we can then
move the UG display to some other location than the main
calendar on python.org and pycon.org.

I'll configure a second instance now.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 13 2012)
2012-10-29: PyCon DE 2012, Leipzig, Germany ...            46 days to go
2012-10-23: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...                 40 days to go
2012-08-28: Released mxODBC 3.2.0 ...             http://egenix.com/go31
2012-08-20: Released mxODBC.Connect 2.0.0 ...     http://egenix.com/go30

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/