[Python-Dev] PEP 594: Removing dead batteries from the standard library

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue May 21 13:12:50 EDT 2019

I still like http.server for quick temporary hacks where I want to be able
to point a browser at some code I wrote 5 minutes ago and that I plan to
discard in an hour. Usually it's running at localhost:8000. Remembering how
to use Django, flask or Tornado seems overkill for that purpose.

On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 9:39 AM Glenn Linderman <v+python at g.nevcal.com>
wrote:

> On 5/20/2019 2:20 PM, Christian Heimes wrote:
>
> On 20/05/2019 23.12, Andrew Svetlov wrote:
>
> socketserver.py is also questionable
>
> I briefly though about the module, but didn't consider it for removal. The http.server, xmlrpc.server, and logging configuration server are implemented on top of the socketserver. I don't want to remove the socketserver module without a suitable replacement for http.server in the standard library.
>

> But http.server could be on the remove list too... it gets mighty little
> support, has very little functionality, and implements a CGI interface
> (although that also has very little functionality), and you have the CGI
> tools on the remove list, rendering the CGI interface implemented by
> http.server less easily usable.
>
> Further, it doesn't directly support https:, and browsers are
> removing/reducing support for http:.
>
> I can't speak to xmlrpc or logging configuration.

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him/his **(why is my pronoun here?)*
<http://feministing.com/2015/02/03/how-using-they-as-a-singular-pronoun-can-change-the-world/>