[Python-Dev] PEP 594: Removing dead batteries from the standard library

Giampaolo Rodola' g.rodola at gmail.com
Tue May 21 06:19:08 EDT 2019

On Tue, 21 May 2019 at 03:17, Christian Heimes <christian at python.org> wrote:

spwd
> ~~~~
>
> The `spwd <https://docs.python.org/3/library/spwd.html>`_ module provides
> direct access to Unix shadow password database using non-standard APIs.
> In general it's a bad idea to use the spwd. The spwd circumvents system
> security policies, it does not use the PAM stack, and is
> only compatible with local user accounts.
>
> Module type
>   C extension
> Deprecated in
>   3.8
> To be removed in
>   3.10
> Substitute
>   **none**

I find this one useful and would be a bit sad to see it go. FWIW I use it
in pyftpdlib and I suppose there are other apps out there relying on UNIX
password db for authentication. The fact that it’s a C module is also an
incentive to leave it in the stdlib IMO (pure python modules can easily be
copied in the project instead of retrieving them from PYPI as a third party
dep - e.g. this is how I am likely going to replace asyncore/asynchat).

A big +1 to this PEP by the way.
--
Giampaolo - http://grodola.blogspot.com