[Python-Dev] Parser module in the stdlib

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon May 20 18:59:44 EDT 2019

On 5/20/2019 11:55 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 3:57 PM Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org
> <mailto:steve.dower at python.org>> wrote:
>
>     [...]
>     We still have the policy of not removing modules that exist in the
>     Python 2 standard library. But 3.9 won't be covered by that :)
>
> I didn't even remember that. Where's that written down?

AFAIK, there has been no BDFL pronouncement or coredev vote.  But it has
become somewhat of a consensus as a result of discussions in multliple
threads about removing modules going back to the 3.4 era.

PEP 594, just posted, proposes to codify a 'soft' (or perhaps 'slow')
version of the policy: doc deprecation, code deprecation, and code
removal in 3.8, 3.9, 3.10.
> FWIW I am strongly in favor of getting rid of the `parser` module, in
> 3.8 if we can, otherwise in 3.9 (after strong deprecation in 3.8).

You could request that 'parser' be specifically excluded from the PEP,
along with 'distutils' (and effectively anything else not specifically
named).  Or request that it be included, but with an accelerated
schedule.  I have a vague idea of why you think it harmful to keep it
around, but a reminder would not hurt ;-).

--
Terry Jan Reedy