[Python-Dev] Parser module in the stdlib

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon May 20 11:55:59 EDT 2019

On Thu, May 16, 2019 at 3:57 PM Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org> wrote:

> [...]
> We still have the policy of not removing modules that exist in the
> Python 2 standard library. But 3.9 won't be covered by that :)

I didn't even remember that. Where's that written down? And by the time 3.8
.0(final) comes out, 2.7 has only about two months of life left...

FWIW I am strongly in favor of getting rid of the `parser` module, in 3.8
is we can, otherwise in 3.9 (after strong deprecation in 3.8).

I am interested in switching CPython's parsing strategy to something else
(what exactly remains to be seen) and any new approach is unlikely to reuse
the current CST technology. (OTOH I think it would be wise to keep the
current AST.)

> But I'm in favor of having a proper CST module that matches the version
> of Python it's in. It doesn't help people on earlier versions (yet), but
> given how closely tied it is to the Python version you're on I think it
> makes sense in the stdlib.

I presume this is in reference to Łukasz's
https://bugs.python.org/issue33337. I think we should act on that issue,
but I don't think there's a good reason to tie deletion (or deprecation) of
the `parser` module to whatever we do there.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)
*Pronouns: he/him/his **(why is my pronoun here?)*