[Python-Dev] PEP 581 (Using GitHub issues for CPython) is accepted

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Wed May 15 12:17:41 EDT 2019

On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 5:38 AM Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:

> Le mer. 15 mai 2019 à 11:31, Christian Heimes <christian at python.org> a
> écrit :
> > What are the next step? Will there be another PEP that explores how we
> > are going to deal with migration, workflow changes, and how we plan to
> > map current BPO features to Github?
>
> Yes, it's the:
>
> PEP 588 -- GitHub Issues Migration Plan
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0588/

And to be very clear here, PEP 588 is *not* accepted yet, so it's open for
changes.

I personally would consider the accepting of PEP 581 as a signal that the
SC thinks it's worth putting the effort into migrating to GitHub for issues
and so now we can focus our efforts as a team in trying to make this result
in the workflow that we want.

And I suspect everyone knows this, but just in case, I want to personally
state that I hope everyone understands that there is no way everyone will
be happy with the outcome of this transition and that's okay. :) Workflow
is one of those things where people are very often opinionated (just look
at all of us and our preference in programming language ;) . Obviously we
can all do what we can to be accommodating and come up with a solution that
works for as many people as possible (including external folks like
triagers and issue reporters), but I hope everyone goes into this being as
understanding as possible so we can try to get the best outcome we can.