[Python-Dev] Adding a toml module to the standard lib?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed May 15 07:00:09 EDT 2019

On Wed, 15 May 2019 at 11:49, Bastian Venthur <venthur at debian.org> wrote:

> On 15.05.19 11:33, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > How stable is the TOML format?  Is it bound to change significantly in
> > the coming years?
> >
> > If the format is stable enough, then I think it's a good idea.
>

> The last update to the spec [1] was 10 months ago and added a few
> features. The version before that was stable for more than 3 years. It
> is also worth noting that he writes about the current version [2]:

I think it's a good idea too - the analysis in PEP 518 concluded that
TOML was, while maybe not perfect, certainly a good general purpose
config file format, and I think that analysis is applicable in other
contexts as well. While "easy to install/vendor" was a point in the
analysis, I think having TOML support in the stdlib would be useful
for simple scripts/applications looking for a good "out of the box"
config solution.

Paul