[Python-Dev] configparser: should optionxform be idempotent?

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 02:33:26 EST 2019

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 at 02:54, Inada Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally speaking, I think technical jargon is much easier than
> normal English idioms or complex English syntax.
>
> I learned "idempotent" long ago while learning HTTP.  On the other hand,
> I don't know normal English idioms even 5-year children who speaks
> English at home knows.
>
> Technical jargon is good tool to communicate with people uses English
> only for programming.  It shows the meaning very clearly with few words.

Thanks for the reminder that the trade-off is different for
non-English speakers - and my apologies for not taking that into
account.

> So I agree with you.  If reader may not know tech jargon widely used,
> teach it instead of avoid it.

Your point is taken, let's include the term in the explanation, but
let's also spell out the behaviour for people who don't know the term
(or who simply find it less familiar because it's not something
commonly used in areas they work in).

Paul