[Python-Dev] Add more SyntaxWarnings?

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 14:51:42 EST 2019

Hello,

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 18:55:37 +0000
MRAB <python at mrabarnett.plus.com> wrote:

[]

> > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25445439/what-does-syntaxerror-missing-parentheses-in-call-to-print-mean-in-python
> I have a vague recollection that a certain computer system (Amiga?)
> had a 'why' command. If it reported an error, you could type "why"
> and it would give you more details.
>
> I suspect that all that was happening was that when the error
> occurred it would store the additional details somewhere that the
> 'why' command would simply retrieve.

Well, a typical Linux install includes "errno" util:

$ errno 13
EACCES 13 Permission denied

So, hail to error numbers. And indeed, even if some may think they're
artifact of 1980'ies, they're alive, well, and useful:

$ pylint --help-msg W1651
:deprecated-itertools-function (W1651): *Accessing a deprecated function on the itertools module*
  Used when accessing a function on itertools that has been removed in Python 3.
  This message belongs to the python3 checker. It can't be emitted when using
  Python >= 3.0.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com