[Python-Dev] ctypes: is it intentional that id() is the only way to get the address of an object?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Fri Jan 18 03:18:17 EST 2019

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019, 22:11 Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org wrote:

> For everyone who managed to reply *hours* after Eryk Sun posted the
> correct answer and still get it wrong, here it is again in full.
>
> As a bonus, here's a link to the place where this answer appears in the
> documentation:
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/ctypes.html#ctypes.py_object

Eryk's answer is actually much more useful than the documentation. I've
read that documentation many times, but always decided not to use py_object
because I couldn't figure out what it would actually do...

(I still probably won't use it because IME by the time I'm using ctypes and
PyObject* together I usually need manual control over refcounts, but it's
nice to know what it actually does.)

-n