[Python-Dev] Interested in serving on Steering Council

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Fri Jan 4 15:36:05 EST 2019

Hi David,

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 15:24:20 -0500
David Mertz <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote:

> I've been part of the Python community since 1998, but really active in it
> since about 2001.  During the early 2000s, I wrote a large number of widely
> read articles promoting Python, often delving into explaining semi-obscure
> features and language design issues.  Most of these were with in my column
> _Charming Python_.  I believe that several changes in Python itself—such as
> making coroutines easier to use and the design of metaclasses and class
> decorators—were significantly influenced by things I wrote on the topics.
> [snip]

Those are useful things to know, thank you.

> If the core developers feel that the overwhelming qualification for the
> Steering Committee is familiarity with the C code base of CPython, then
> indeed I am not the best candidate for that.

Obviously not the overwhelming qualification (though at least _some_ of
the committee members would have to be familiar with the C code base, I
think).

> If language design issues are
> more important—and especially if thinking about Python's place among users
> and industry are important, then I think I'm a very good candidate for the
> role.

That, but I think also familiarity with the development and
contribution process, will definitely play a role.  In other words, if
some external candidate gets elected I would hope they take the time to
become familiar with how things work in that regard, and try to
contribute themselves (not necessarily to make important contributions
to the codebase but to understand the daily routine).

Regards

Antoine.