[Python-Dev] Add minimal information with a new issue?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Feb 21 13:08:22 EST 2019

On Feb 21, 2019, at 06:53, Stephane Wirtel <stephane at wirtel.be> wrote:

> What do you think if we suggest a "template" for the new bugs?
>
> For example:
> * Python version (exact version)
> * Operating System  * on Linux -> Distribution (python can have some patches)
> * Add a script for the reproduction of the bug
> * Eventually, try with the docker images (on i386,x86_64, ...)
> * etc...
>
> We can lost a lot of time just trying to find the right information for
> the reproduction of the issue.

Getting reproducible cases is usually the hardest part of any bug fix. :)

If there is information about the platform, version of Python, build flags etc. that we want to capture in bug reports, there should be a `python -m bugreport` or some such that we can ask people to run and attach or paste into their issue.  Maybe even cooler would be something that opens a new GitHub issue with that information pre-populated.

-Barry