[Python-Dev] Making PyInterpreterState an opaque type

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 07:22:32 EST 2019

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 at 12:12, Antoine Pitrou <antoine at python.org> wrote:

> Actually, it would be interesting to have some kind of survey of C
> extensions (through random sampling? or popularity?) to find out why the
> developers had to write a C extension in the first place and what their
> concerns are.

Indeed. There's also embedding, where I suspect there's a much higher
likelihood that performance isn't key.

And in your survey, I'd split out "needs the Python/C interface to be
fast" from "needs internal operations to be fast, but data transfer
between C and Python isn't as critical". I suspect there's a lot of
people who believe they are in the former category, but are actually
in the latter...

Paul