[Python-Dev] Another update for PEP 394 -- The "python" Command on Unix-Like Systems

Petr Viktorin encukou at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 03:56:08 EST 2019

On 2/13/19 4:24 PM, Petr Viktorin wrote:
> I think it's time for another review.
[...]
> Please see this PR for details and a suggested change:
> https://github.com/python/peps/pull/893

Summary of the thread so far.

Antoine Pitrou noted that the PEP should acknowledge that there are now
years of
established usage of `python` as Python 3 for many conda users, often as
the "main" Python.

Victor Stinner expressed support for "python" being the latest Python
version, citing PHP, Ruby, Perl; containers; mentions of "python" in our
docs.

Steve Dower later proposed concrete points how to make "python" the
default command:
   * our docs should say "python" consistently
   * we should recommend that distributors use the same workaround
   * our docs should describe the recommended workaround in any places
people are likely to first encounter it (tutorial, sys.executable, etc.)

Chris Barker added that "python3" should still be available, even if
"python" is default.

Barry Warsaw gave a +1 to making "python" default, noting that there
were plans to change this when Python 2 is officially deprecated. But
distros need to make decisions about 2020 now.

Chris Barker noted that users won't see any discuntinuity in 2020.
That's just a date support from CPython devs ends.

Victor pointed to discussions on 4.0 vs. 3.10. (I'll ignore discussions
on 4.0 in this summary.)
Victor also posted some interesting info and links on Fedora and RHEL.
There was a discussion on the PSF survey about how many people use
Python 3. (I'll ignore this sub-thread, it's not really about the
"python" command.)

Steve noted that the Windows Store package of Python 3 provides
"python", but he is still thinking how to make this reasonable/reliable
in the full installer.

Several people think "py" on Unix would be a good thing. Neil
Schemenauer supposes we would encourage people to use it over
"python"/"python2"/"python3", so "python" would be less of an issue.

Neil Schemenauer is not opposed to making "python" configurable or
eventually pointing it to Python 3.

Jason Swails shared experience from running software with a
"#!/usr/bin/env python" shebang on a system that didn't have Python 2
(and followed the PEP, so no "python" either). The workaround was ugly.

-------------

Since this list is public, I'd like to remind all readers that it is
full of people who work extensively with Python 3, and tend to drive it
forward at any opportunity. (Myself included, but on this thread I'll
leave the arguments to someone else – they're covered adequately.)

Thoughts of Python developers are important, but we're not hearing any
other voices. Perhaps everyone with a different opinion has already
self-selected out.

I don't know of a good place for this discussion, and I'm not a good
person to give arguments to support the original "python" should be
Python 2 direction. (But if I did, I imagine posting them here would
feel a bit scary.)
But I would not be surprised, or annoyed, if the Council had a private
discussion and pronounced "No, sorry, not yet".

Anyway, how should this be decided? Where should it be discussed?