[Python-Dev] No longer enable Py_TRACE_REFS by default in debug build

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Fri Apr 12 08:06:04 EDT 2019

Le ven. 12 avr. 2019 à 12:57, Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> a écrit :
> I wrote https://bugs.python.org/issue36611 to remove the serialno field
> of debug hooks on Python memory allocators: it reduces
> the memory footprint by 5% (ex: 1.2 MiB on 33.0 MiB when running
> test_asyncio).

I measured the memory footprint when I combine my two changes:

* disable Py_TRACE_REFS: https://bugs.python.org/issue36465
* disable/remove serialno field: https://bugs.python.org/issue36611

python3 -m test test_asyncio, without => with the change: 34,038.0 kB
=> 30,612.2 kB (-3,425.8 kiB, -10%)

A reduction of 3.4 MiB on 34.0 MiB is quite significant, no?

Victor