[Python-Dev] Documenting the private C API (was Re: Questions about signal handling.)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Sep 25 12:01:58 EDT 2018

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 8:55 AM Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> On Sep 25, 2018, at 11:28, Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > But if we have a separated documented for CPython internals, why not
> > documenting private functions. At least, I would prefer to not put it
> > at the same place an the *public* C API. (At least, a different
> > directory.)
>
> I like the idea of an “internals” C API documentation, separate from the
> public API.

Right. IMO it should be physically separate from the public C API docs.
I.e. reside in a different subdirectory of Doc, and be published at a
different URL (perhaps not even under docs.python.org), since the audience
here is exclusively people who want to modify the CPython interpreter,
*not* people who want to write extension modules for use with CPython. And
we should fully reserve the right to change their behavior incompatibly,
even in bugfix releases.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)