[Python-Dev] Documenting the private C API (was Re: Questions about signal handling.)

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 11:24:43 EDT 2018

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 9:16 AM Yury Selivanov <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> We already have a mechanism for private header files: the
> "Include/internal/" directory. I think it should be mandatory to
> always put private C API-like functions/structs there.

+1

This is the main reason I created that directory.  (Victor had a
similar idea about the same time.)  Having the separate
"Include/internal" directory definitely makes it much easier to
discover internal APIs, to distinguish between public and private, and
to keep extension authors (and embedders) from using internal APIs
without knowing what they're doing.

That said, having docs for the internal APIs would still be awesome!

-eric