[Python-Dev] debugging test_importlib.test_bad_traverse - script status is SUCCESS - but FAIL is expected.

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 09:26:46 EDT 2018

On Tue, 18 Sep 2018 at 19:52, Michael <aixtools at felt.demon.nl> wrote:

> On 17/09/2018 09:39, Michael wrote:
> > I read the discussion related to issue32374. That seems to be sure that
> > other events that could
> > cause the test to fail (i.e., the program executes successfully) are
> > caught early, and/or ignored
> > so that the program fails - and the test succeeds.
>
> After reading below, I would appreciate knowing whether to ask that
> issue32374 be reopened and the test adjusted so that the test is
> "SkipIf" AIX? Or, something else? I'll work on something else, but I do
> not want to guess the current intent of this test module.

Reviewing https://bugs.python.org/issue32374, the purpose of the test
case is to check that failing to handle the m_state == NULL case will
always segfault (because the import machinery always checks that
m_traverse is valid after the create stage), rather than only
segfaulting sometimes (based on whether or not a cyclic gc run
triggers at an inopportune moment).

Since the AIX case won't segfault in either the deliberately triggered
traversal *or* in a GC-induced traversal, skipping the test case on
AIX seems fine (with the note that null pointer accesses are just zero
on AIX, not a segfault).

Cheers,
Nick.