[Python-Dev] Store startup modules as C structures for 20%+ startup speed improvement?

Neil Schemenauer nas-python at arctrix.com
Tue Sep 18 18:00:03 EDT 2018

On 2018-09-18, Carl Shapiro wrote:
> How might people feel about using the linker to bundle a list of pre-loaded
> modules into a single-file executable?

The users of Python are pretty diverse so it depends on who you ask.
Some would like a giant executable that includes everything they
need (so of like the Go approach).  Other people want an executable
that has just importlib inside it and then mix-and-match different
shared libs for their different purposes.  Some will not want work
"old school" and load from separate .py or .pyc files.

I see no reason why we can't support all these options.

Regards,

  Neil