[Python-Dev] Request review of bpo-34125/GH-8416

Jeroen Demeyer J.Demeyer at UGent.be
Tue Sep 18 06:34:50 EDT 2018

The gist of bpo-34125 is that the following two statements behave
differently with respect to sys.setprofile() profiling:

 >>> list.append([], None)

 >>> list.append([], None, **{})

More precisely: the former call is profiled, but the latter is not. The
fix at GH-8416 is simply to make this consistent by also profiling the
latter.

Victor Stinner did not want to accept the pull request because he wanted
"a wider discussion on function calls". I think that GH-8416 is a simple
bugfix which can be merged anyway and which won't make future
"discussions on function calls" any harder.

In any case, it would be good to have any *decision* (accepted or
rejected) on that PR. I find the current uncertainty worse than a
decision either way. Right now, my reference implementation of PEP 580
conflicts with that branch and I would like to resolve that conflict
after GH-8416 has been decided.

Links:
https://bugs.python.org/issue34125
https://github.com/python/cpython/pull/8416