[Python-Dev] Official citation for Python

Jacqueline Kazil jackiekazil at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 18:22:47 EDT 2018

RE: Why cite Python….

I would say that in this paper —
http://conference.scipy.org/proceedings/scipy2015/pdfs/jacqueline_kazil.pdf,
where we introduced a new library, we should have cited Python, because the
library was based in Python. We were riding on the coattails of Python and
if Python did not exist, then this library would not exist.

(taking this a level higher)
Just as someone doing research (a specific application) should cite the
Mesa library. Without the good and bad that is Mesa, their research would
have taken a different form.

Since my Ph.D is on Mesa, I will be citing Python there.

I think for more insight we can look at who has cited some of Guido’s stuff…
For example:
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?cites=900267235435084077&as_sdt=20005&sciodt=0,9&hl=en

Does that help?
RE: Just like R - Versions

@Stephen
Are you suggesting major versions or minor versions?
RE: Guido’s prio works

Some of those have weight already. Should we be picking one those and
pointing people to that?
Final decision

I am going to the NumFocus summit for maintainers of Science Python
libraries next week. I believe that the Science Python community is where
the main audience for this is… correct me if you think this is a wrong
assumption.

I thought I could take two to three concrete formats and user test there
and report on how community members who would be using the citation feel.

Good idea? Bad idea?

--
Jacqueline Kazil | @jackiekazil