[Python-Dev] Official citation for Python

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Tue Sep 11 05:16:08 EDT 2018

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 3:48 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
wrote:

> > That is about reproducible results, which is really a different thing
> than
> > the usual citations.
>
> I don't think it is. I think you are seeing a distinction that is not
> there.

no need for us to agree on that, but there are still multiple reasons /
ways you might want to cite Python, and what you would want to cite would
be different.

Lets say one were to write an article about how different computer
languages express functional programming concepts -- you may want to cite
Python, but you are not trying to identify a specific version for
reproducible results.

And see Wes Turner's note -- it is highly unlikely that a single citation
to a standard document or something will be enough for reproducibility
anyway.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov