[Python-Dev] Official citation for Python

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Sep 10 15:25:29 EDT 2018

I"d like ot know what thee citations are expected to be used for?

i.e. -- usually, academic papers have a collection of citiations to
acknowledge where you got an idea, or fact, or .... It serves both to
jusstify something and make it clear that it is not your own idea (i.e. not
pagerism).

in the enclosed doc, it says:

"""
*If someone publishes research, they will cite the exact major version that
was used, so if someone was trying to recreate the research they would be
able to do it.*
*"""*
That is about reproducible results, which is really a different thing than
the usual citations. In that case, you would want some way to identify the
actual source code (cPython version 3.6.4, and probably a url to the source
-- but how long might that last???) And you would need to post your own
source anyway.

Again, regular citation is about acknowledging the source of an idea or
fact, or something of that nature. I can imagine a paper about computer
language design or some such might need to reference Python -- in which
case it should reference the Language Reference, I suppose. Maybe we should
have a DOI for each version of the standard docs.

But "I wrote some code in Python to produce these statistics" -- does that
need a citation? If so, maybe that would take a different form.

Anyway, hard to make this decision without some idea how the citation is
intended to be used.

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov