[Python-Dev] AES decryption/encryption support for zipfile

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Mon Sep 10 14:56:23 EDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 8:24 AM 大野隆弘 <oono0114 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, allow me to ask one more thing.
> If I want to use AES in zipfile module, what the good way to implement?

If anyone wants to add support for additional zipfile encryption/decryption
methods, there are a few options:

(a) Fork the stdlib zipfile module and create one that supports the
additional features, posting it on PyPI.  That way it could have
dependencies on other third party libraries such as
https://cryptography.io/en/latest/.

(b) Figure out the set of hooks necessary for the zipfile module to support
pluggable encryption as an API so that external libraries could provide
encryption support to it.

(c) Write a library that wraps an existing third party zip file creation
tool or library instead of reusing the stdlib zipfile code.

Option (a) is probably easiest to start with... but creates a maintenance
burden of keeping that module up to date.

Option (b) will be more challenging, the zipfile API modifications and
their tests would need merging and would only show up in a future CPython
release (3.8 today).

Option (c) is entirely different, but would get you out of the business of
dealing with the zipfile spec itself.

Unstated option (n): write something entirely new not based on existing
code or tools.  An entirely different form of challenge.

In general the existing stdlib zipfile module code is not loved by any of
us who have had to work on it in the past decade, it is a hairy mess (but
does work, so it's got that going for it).  Granted, the zip format as a
specification vs the many implementations out there to be compatible with
is also what I'd call an underspecified mess...

-gps