[Python-Dev] Official citation for Python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Sep 9 23:53:18 EDT 2018

On 9/9/2018 11:39 PM, Jacqueline Kazil wrote:
> Terry -- For clarification, the format question was not a style
> question. It was a reference to the one versus many that I wrote in the
> explainer.

I don't know what you mean by this.

> Yes... there are many prescribed formats already. That is the easy part.

Different publications use different citation formats.  We cannot
dictate which format an author or publication uses.  We could, and I
think should, suggest the content of the different fields that go into
the various formats.  And we could give examples of citing, say, the
Reference Manual, in the most common formats.

> On Sun, Sep 9, 2018 at 11:33 PM Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu
> <mailto:tjreedy at udel.edu>> wrote:
>
>     On 9/9/2018 3:43 PM, Jacqueline Kazil wrote:
>      > <http:///>The PSF has received a few inquiries asking the question —
>      > “How do I cite Python?”So, I am reaching out to you all to figure
>     this out.
>      >
>      > (For those that don’t know my background, I have been in academia
>     for a
>      > bit as a Ph.D student and have worked at the Library of Congress
>     writing
>      > code to process Marc records
>     <https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/>,
>      > among other things.)
>      >
>      > IMHO the citation for Python should be decided upon by the Python
>      > developers and should live somewhere on the site.

The PSF is the publisher.  It seems that you might be more competent to
make some of the decisions than are we developers, who have mostly left
academia some time ago.

>      > Two questions to be answered…
>      >
>      >  1. What format should it take?
>
>     There are by now formats for citing web documents.  I presume style
>     guides now include such.  Try a current version of the Chicago
>     Manual of
>     Style.  (not sure of exact title).  I will ask a university professor
>     who should know more than I.
>
>      >  2. Where does it live on the site?
>
>     On https://bugs.python.org/issue26597, I suggested the Copyright page.

To make the answer more visible,

>     I now think a link to 'Citing these Documents' on
>     https://docs.python.org/3/
>     would be even better.

tjr