[Python-Dev] Official citation for Python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Sep 9 23:32:21 EDT 2018

On 9/9/2018 3:43 PM, Jacqueline Kazil wrote:
> <http:///>The PSF has received a few inquiries asking the question —
> “How do I cite Python?”So, I am reaching out to you all to figure this out.
>
> (For those that don’t know my background, I have been in academia for a
> bit as a Ph.D student and have worked at the Library of Congress writing
> code to process Marc records <https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/>,
> among other things.)
>
> IMHO the citation for Python should be decided upon by the Python
> developers and should live somewhere on the site.
>
> Two questions to be answered…
>
>  1. What format should it take?

There are by now formats for citing web documents.  I presume style
guides now include such.  Try a current version of the Chicago Manual of
Style.  (not sure of exact title).  I will ask a university professor
who should know more than I.

>  2. Where does it live on the site?

On https://bugs.python.org/issue26597, I suggested the Copyright page.
I now think a link to 'Citing these Documents' on https://docs.python.org/3/