[Python-Dev] Workflow blocked on the 3.6 because of AppVeyor; who owns the AppVeyor project?

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 09:44:06 EDT 2018

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 6:23 AM Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 11:03:48 +0100
> Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 10:55, Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > Who ows the "python" AppVeyor project?

That seems to have fallen to me for the most part.

> > > Can someone please give me the
> > > administrator permission on this project, so I will be able to invalid
> > > the build cache?
> >
> > I don't appear to have admin rights on Appveyor either.

I've attempted to make a change that should give you both more access;
even odds on whether it did anything :).  I've never tried to use
their REST API, so I don't know whether it will help with that at all.

> For some reason it seems to be located in a hidden directory
> (".github/appveyor.yml").  Not the most intuitive decision IMHO.
> Travis' own config file ".travis.yml" is still at repository root, which
> makes things more confusing.

The idea there was to avoid proliferation of root-level dotfiles where
possible, but if we would rather keep it at the project root it's a
relatively simple change to make.

For the actual issue at hand, the problem arises from doing builds on
3.6 with both the VS2015 and VS2017 images.  Apparently something
built in `/externals` by the VS2015 build gets cached, which then
breaks the VS2017 build; I haven't tracked down how exactly that is
happening.  I think the preferred solution is probably to just drop
the VS2017 build on 3.6 on AppVeyor; VSTS runs on VS2017 and dropping
one of the builds from 3.6 will make AppVeyor significantly quicker on
that branch.

--
Zach