[Python-Dev] dear core-devs

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Oct 4 06:25:40 EDT 2018

On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 09:55:10AM +0200, Petr Viktorin wrote:

> Is paying the best way to get features into Python?

No, but it is *a* way to get features into Python.

It may be a good way to get a feature that is important to (generic)
you, but the core devs don't have enough time, interest or energy to add
in their own free time.

It is not a way to get features that are opposed by the core devs.

> Does becoming a core
> dev mean you can now get paid for approving changes? Some of the
> implications are quite disturbing :(

Naturally whenever money is involved, there is the risks of a conflict
of interest, and of course we should be careful about such risks. But
they are small and manageable risks.

We're unlikely to be talking about huge amounts of money, enough to
corrupt people, and so long as there is transparency about who does what
and why, open source and free software is compatible with payment for
work done. Even Richard Stallman accepts money for code :-)

--
Steve