[Python-Dev] Petr Viktorin as BDFL-Delegate for PEP 580

Wes Turner wes.turner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 11:12:26 EDT 2018

On Wednesday, October 3, 2018, INADA Naoki <songofacandy at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2018年10月3日(水) 21:24 Jeroen Demeyer <J.Demeyer at ugent.be>:
>
>> Hello,
>>

>> I am well aware of the current governance issues, but several people
>> have mentioned that the BDFL-Delegate process can still continue for
>> now.
>

> Really?
> I don't know process to assign BDFL-delegate without BDFL.

AFAIU, there is not yet a documented process for BDFL-delegate assignment.

There's this in the devguide; which links to PEP1:

"20.2. PEP Process¶"
https://devguide.python.org/langchanges/#pep-process
https://github.com/python/devguide/blob/master/langchanges.rst

And PEP 1:

"PEP 1 -- PEP Purpose and Guidelines"
  "PEP Workflow"
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/#pep-workflow
  "PEP Editors"
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/#pep-editors
  "PEP Editor Responsibilities & Workflow"
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0001/#pep-editor-responsibilities-workflow

https://github.com/python/peps/blob/master/pep-0001.txt

And the devguide has a list of experts:
https://devguide.python.org/experts/

Maybe PEP1 is the place to list current BDFL-Delegates
(in addition to in the PEP metadata as in the OT PR:
python/peps#797
"PEP 580: Petr Viktorin as BDFL-Delegate"
)?

Not to bikeshed, but is BDFL-Delegate still the current term because that's
what's in all the other PEPs' metadata?