[Python-Dev] C API changes

Armin Rigo armin.rigo at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 01:06:44 EST 2018

Hi,

On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 at 18:19, Steve Dower <steve.dower at python.org> wrote:
> quo. We continue to not be able to change CPython internals at all,
> since that will break people using option B.

No?  That will only break users if they only have an option-B
``foo.cpython-318m-x86_64-linux-gnu.so``, no option-A .so and no
source code, and want to run it elsewhere than CPython 3.18.  That's
the same as today.  If you want option-B .so for N versions of
CPython, recompile the source code N times.

Just to be clear, if done correctly there should be no need for
#ifdefs in the source code of the extension module.

A bientôt,

Armin.