[Python-Dev] Inclusion of lz4 bindings in stdlib?

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Nov 28 16:27:37 EST 2018

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 10:43:04AM -0800, Gregory P. Smith wrote:

> PyPI makes getting more algorithms easy.

Can we please stop over-generalising like this? PyPI makes getting
more algorithms easy for *SOME* people. (Sorry for shouting, but you
just pressed one of my buttons.)

PyPI might as well not exist for those who cannot, for technical or
policy reasons, install addition software beyond the std lib on the
computers they use. (I hesitate to say "their computers".)

In many school or corporate networks, installing unapproved software can
get you expelled or fired. And getting approval may be effectively
impossible, or take months of considerable effort navigating some
complex bureaucratic process.

This is not an argument either for or against adding LZ4, I have no
opinion either way. But it is a reminder that "just get it from PyPI"
represents an extremely privileged position that not all Python users
are capable of taking, and we shouldn't be so blase about abandoning
those who can't to future std lib improvements.

--
Steve