[Python-Dev] Inclusion of lz4 bindings in stdlib?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Wed Nov 28 11:43:43 EST 2018

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 10:28:19 +0000
Jonathan Underwood <jonathan.underwood at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have for sometime maintained the Python bindings to the LZ4
> compression library[0, 1]:
>
> I am wondering if there is interest in having these bindings move to
> the standard library to sit alongside the gzip, lzma etc bindings?
> Obviously the code would need to be modified to fit the coding
> guidelines etc.

Personally I would find it useful indeed.  LZ4 is very attractive
when (de)compression speed is a primary factor, for example when
sending data over a fast network link or a fast local SSD.

Another compressor worth including is Zstandard (by the same author as
LZ4). Actually, Zstandard and LZ4 cover most of the (speed /
compression ratio) range quite well. Informative graphs below:
https://gregoryszorc.com/blog/2017/03/07/better-compression-with-zstandard/

Regards

Antoine.