[Python-Dev] Experiment an opt-in new C API for Python? (leave current API unchanged)

Victor Stinner vstinner at redhat.com
Wed Nov 14 09:28:19 EST 2018

Le mer. 14 nov. 2018 à 14:36, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> a écrit :
> PS What percentage does "top 5" translate to? In terms of both
> downloads and actual numbers of extensions? With only 5, it would be
> very easy (I suspect) to get only scientific packages, and (for
> example) miss out totally on database APIs, or web helpers. You'll
> likely get a broader sense of where issues lie if you cover a wide
> range of application domains.

I don't want to force anyone to move to a new experimental API. I
don't want to propose patches to third party modules for example. I
would like to ensure that I don't break too many C extensions, or that
tools to convert C extensions to the new API work as expected :-)

Everything is experimental.

https://pythoncapi.readthedocs.io/backward_compatibility.html

> assuming the experiment is successful, forced (as opposed to opt-in)
> migration to the new API would be handled in a gradual,

No, the current C API will remain available. No one is forced to do
anything. That's not part of my plan.

Victor