[Python-Dev] Withdraw PEP 546? Backport ssl.MemoryBIO and ssl.SSLObject to Python 2.7

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu May 31 10:22:38 EDT 2018

On 31 May 2018 at 19:34, Nathaniel Smith <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 30, 2018, 14:21 Victor Stinner <vstinner at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> MemoryBIO was the key feature which allowed to implement TLS for the
>> ProactorEventLoop (IOCP) of asyncio.
>>

> MemoryBIO is definitely super useful for async libraries – trio uses it,
> asyncio uses it, twisted uses it (via pyopenssl). But I don't know of
> anyone who currently needs it but hasn't already found a way to get it.

I think one of the other key things that changed is pip gaining its own
native support for using the SecureTransport API on Mac OS X.

So yeah, unless someone from PyCA chimes in to say that the PEP still
offers benefits that we can't get another way, withdrawing PEP 546 as
"Overtaken by events" probably makes sense.

Cheers,
Nick.