[Python-Dev] [python-committers] FINAL WEEK FOR 3.7.0 CHANGES!

Ned Deily nad at python.org
Thu May 24 13:08:19 EDT 2018

On May 24, 2018, at 12:26, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:
> 24.05.18 19:02, Ned Deily пише:
>> On May 24, 2018, at 11:35, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I have doubts about two issues. I feel the responsibility for them because I had the opportunity to solve them before, but I lost it.
>> [...]
>>
>> Serhiy, what are the bugs.python.org issue numbers for these?  Are they marked as "release blocker"?
> For docstring in AST: https://bugs.python.org/issue32911
>
> Inada's patch looked complex (actually it mostly restored the code before his previous change). We didn't know about IPython and we decided that it is not worth to change this code at this stage (after beta2). And definitely it will be later to do this after rc1.

We have had many discussions about this issue earlier and, while there were arguments made for more than one approach, I believe we reached agreement that this was a deliberate incompatibility that we and our users could live with.  The issue has been closed since 2018-03-18.  At some point, we need to move on.  However, if additional exposure downstream has identified significant new problems, then the issue should be re-opened and a specific proposal made.  BTW, do we know what the iPython folks think about this?  But there still seems to be disagreements about whether anything needs to be changed.  As I commented yesterday, I *really* don't want to keep revisiting this but I am not going to make a technical call.  Without an open "release blocker" issue, though, nothing is going to change for 3.7.0rc1.  If you (or anyone else) feels strongly enough about it, you should re-open the issue now and make it as a "release blocker" and we should discuss the implications and possible plans of action in the issue.

> For pickling of typing types: https://bugs.python.org/issue32873
>
> Ivan fixed cases supported before 3.7. They now are backward and forward compatible. But cases not supported before 3.7 (like List[int]) now produce fragile pickles.

That issue was closed by Ivan and there have been no comments on it since 2018-04-04.  I'll defer to his recent reply in this thread.

--
  Ned Deily
  nad at python.org -- []