[Python-Dev] My fork lacks a 3.7 branch - can I create it somehow?

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Tue May 22 20:02:39 EDT 2018

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 3:51 PM, Skip Montanaro
<skip.montanaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You don't really need copies of official branches on your Github fork if
> you're not a maintainer for these branches.
>
> I explicitly wanted to run with 3.7 in the run-up to release. On that
> branch, the built ./python reports 3.7.0b4+ at startup. Master tells me
> 3.8.0a0 on startup. Since my local repo is a clone of my fork, it made
> sense to me to have a 3.7 branch on my fork which I could switch to. Am I
> only nutcase who thinks that might be mildly useful? (Or that if I want to
> test an application across multiple versions using tox that it makes sense
> to have pre-release visibility of point releases.)

To run with 3.7 you need 3.7 in your local repo, but there's no
particular reason that you need to push that branch back up to your
personal fork on github. It's very unlikely that anyone looking for a
3.7 branch would go to your fork and expect to find it there.

As far as git is concerned, the main repo on github, your fork on
github, and your local repo are 3 independent repositories, equally
valid. The relationships between them are purely a matter of
convention.

-n